2 LinkedIn MORE

My family bought me a Kindle in 2011. My initial reluctance faded though. I could now carry a bookcase in my purse.

It resurrected my crusade to read classic literature. These e-classics were cheaper than a cup of coffee and came without the carpal-tunnel-crushing girth of Their Print Counterparts.

reading these novels required me to dust off my thinking cap. They had antiquated language and enough characters to People a small city. I am a busy mom in a car, not a grad student in a library. It was taking me forever to finish anything.

One day the Kindle offered me a free Audible book. I never Realized my Kindle had speakers. Since I was in the middle of “Middlemarch” and my son’s basketball season, I decided to download the audiobook.

There was a companion e-book for 99-cents. It was just like the e-book I had, except it Claimed it could sync up with the audio book. Whether I was listening or reading, both versions would keep my current place.

I had a dollar.

I took my Kindle in the car. The speakers were soft, so I held the Kindle close to my ear. Awkward, but enjoyable. Later, I opened my e-book and a small dialogue box appeared.

“Would you like to sync to the Furthest Page read?”

Why, yes I would.

Life was good. Under this system, I was done with “Middlemarch” in record time. Plus, I no longer dreaded driving in the car. It was my library.

I Became Obsessed with Audible. When They had a sale, I stocked up on Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf and Elizabeth Gaskell – each withtheir companion e-books.

Download. Download. Download.

Then, I saw “Les Misérables.” I’ve always wanted to read this book, but had lacked the time and arm strength. Thanks to my kids’ sports schedules, I had the time. And thanks to my Kindle, I had the arm strength.

Download.

It was wonderful. So wonderful, I started carrying my Kindle around while making suppers. One evening, while balancing a pot in one hand and carrying my Kindle in the other, I tripped over the dog.

BAM – Kindle down.

Gingerly, I picked it up. It looked bad. The back had popped opened and the on switch dangled. I patted everything together and plugged it into. The green light flickered.

Aha!

Then died.

Rats.

I called Amazon. The news was not good.

Three years in the tech world is like 30 They no longer make my model and would not repair it. I could buy a new Kindle at a reduced rate, but none of the current models had speakers except the glowing ones. I do not like the glowing ones.

Now I was miserable.

I dragged around the house and the dreaded car. My husband offered me his iTouch.

“It has a Kindle app.”

It Glows.

“It has an Audible app thatwill playthrough the car speakers. “

Sold.

Well, not completely.

True, my professional storytellers were back. And that’s great for my commute. However, given a choice, I prefer to read the stories myself. I wanted my Kindle back.

I broke down and ordered a cheap, non-glowing Kindle. When it arrived, I downloaded my digital bookcase and opened “Les Misérables.”

“Would you like to sync to the Furthest Page read?”

Why, yes I would.

Nicole LV Mullis Can Be Reached at nlvm.columns@gmail.com. You can find her on Facebook or follow her on TwitterNicoleLVMullis.

2 LinkedIn MORE

Read or Share this story: http://bcene.ws/1tJ0lUB