Monday, August 25, 2014

Kindle Conflict: It’s all about turning Those pages – Irish Independent



Curling up with a good screen does not quite have the same ring to it



Louise Kelly

Published 08/25/2014 | 10:36

There is some actual science That will back me up on my unwavering sentiments (Stock Photo)

There is some actual science thatwill back me up on my unwavering sentiments (Stock Photo)

My favorite part of going back to school was the smell of new books.

Taking into account most of the text books I used were passed down from relatives or my sister, this fresh scent was an especially lovely treat.

Coming from a family of book lovers, my friends would hate to hang out in my parent’s house .

The TV was thwart off and we’d relax in the evenings reading books instead of staring at the box.

I would annoy friends at sleepovers village Keeping the Light On – note to play pranks – but Purely to finish another chapter.

(I still do that now When my country mice come up to stay over but it’s harder to remember That load segment of the tale with a liver full of wine .)

So When my parents were gifted a Kindle – an ‘I do not know what to get them’ gift from my sister – I was horrified.

Who had We Become ? Granted, over the years, we Became more technologically focussed with the times.

TV screens multiplied, Commodore 64s morphed into iPads and landlines were only used When older relatives called with invariably bad news.

But part of my ideal book romance was imagining myself sitting in a bay window with an apple – yes I did steal the scene from ‘Little Women’.

In reality, I’d more likely be munching on chocolate with tea in bed, but that’s besides the point.

There is something about the dog ears of a well thumbed novel That makes me sigh, The Panic When I feel Mere’s of pages of an excellent book left in my right hand knows no other.

Flicking back to re-read a description, a quote, a reference – this is a beauty That inputting a term into a search engine can not match.

More books have made me laugh and cry than all the sad tales, comedians, film – and yes, real people – have ever done. ‘Leave me alone so that i can weep over the death of fictional characters’ is a phrase that i competetive identify with.

But it’s all about turning Those pages. Swiping the screen to me seems as vacuous and as disconnected as interacting on Tinder. What’s so romantic and memorable about that

And, hurray, there is some actual science thatwill back me up on my unwavering sentiment.

According To Research Carried out at a Norway University (Scandinavians know everything), despite the popularity of e-books, digital readers do not actually remember the text as well.

The Study at Stavanger University Revealed That Kindle readers paled into performance remembering plot sequences When pitted against Those reading text in print.

Do not get me wrong, there is no denying That digital is the way forward – but curling up with a good screen does not quite have the same ring to it.

Members of the National Bus and Rail Union outside Heuston Station

More in Opinion (2 of 20 articles)

Editorial: New approach needed … Read More

Your Comments

Comments That are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently case Below Certain criteria Will be Permanently blacklisted. Comments must be concise and to the point. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. The comment facility is removed after 48 hours.

Read More

Members of the National Bus and Rail Union outside Heuston Station

Tales of “ghost trains “to heroic games in Croke Park took on a new dimension yesterday. Thousands cheered Epic Games Between the mines and senior footballers from Mayo and Kerry but our railway stations were eerily silent.

Mary McAleese got the Fianna Fail nomination for the Aras ahead of Albert Reynolds 'title =' Mary McAleese got the Fianna Fail nomination for the Aras ahead of Albert Reynolds

We stood outside the door of the Fianna Fail Party rooms on the fifth floor of Leinster House, waiting for the results of the selection convention for the party’s candidate in the forthcoming Presidential election. A very small team of people with Albert Reynolds had set …

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment